Sunday 15 March 2009

Manchester

In a week, I will be home. No more England, no more Nottingham or traveling.
Yesterday was my last day trip in England. I had wanted to go to Bath and Stonehenge, but getting there would have been way too complicated. I would have had to take a train to one station, get on another train and then take a bus. It's confusing and expensive. Besides, I've seen original Roman baths in Rome and I'm not that crazy about seeing a bunch of rocks in a circle...wow.
So I went to Manchester, once the cotton capital of England because of all the cotton shipped there from Liverpool. It was processed in the factories there during the Industrial Revolution. By coach, Manchester is about 2 hours northwest of Nottingham and Liverpool is about another hour from Manchester in the same direction.
I think my favorite cathedral out of all the ones I've seen on my travels is Manchester Cathedral. It's simple, clean-cut and has beautiful stained glass windows.
Town Hall is pretty impressive, too. For about a week before and after the Saturday I went, there is an Irish festival right in front of Town Hall in honor of St. Patrick's Day. There was Irish food, music and merchandise.
Another one of Manchester's claims to fame is that two famous scientists were born and went to school there. One was James Prescott Joule, who discovered that heat is a form of energy and created a measurement for it called the Joule. I remember learning about that in chemistry class way back when.
The other scientist was Ernest Rutherford, who split the atom. Sweet!
I went to Manchester with my two friends Mary Beth and Lim. We spent most of the day inside a huge, hands-on museum called the Museum of Science and Industry. It had a huge building housing all kinds of early aircraft. Another warehouse was full of trains. Then there were quite a few exhibits on the city itself. It was a lot of fun!
We were all pretty pooped by the late afternoon since we had been up at 6 in order to catch our coach. In fact, every time we sat down to take a rest, Lim would pass out. We kept having to shake her awake! Manchester was pretty cool, though.
I woke up this morning to a sunny sky; it was great. My foot has been feeling pretty good, even after the miles I walked yesterday. So I went for a run at the nearby park. I am happy to say my foot is completely healed since I didn't experience any pain while running or afterwards. yay!
I am upset, though, that there is no hot water. I don't know what's going on, but when I went to take a shower this morning, the water wouldn't get hot. The water was so cold it actually gave me a headache when I was washing out my shampoo. And the hot water in my sink won't work either. I really hope this gets fixed soon!

1 comment:

  1. Manchester Cathedral is lovely, full of some of the most wonderful carvings, not least of which are the misericords, which are amongst the best examples in Europe. It's worth noting that the misericords at Manchester contain the earliest representation of backgammon in the UK

    ReplyDelete