Monday 16 March 2009

Of beer and buds

Today I visited the local Nottingham Brewery called...no way, Nottingham Brewery. It is on the outskirts of the university, which is actually a few miles from city centre. The brewery is a part of The Plough Inn, a quaint pub with original wood tables and bars; I really liked the atmosphere.
This trip was prompted by my dad, the brewing enthusiast, who e-mailed the proprieter beforehand. I tried both to e-mail and call the same guy, but he never responded. So, I just headed over there myself. The outside of the brewery/pub smelled like the kitchen at home does when Dad is putting together his beer, except at least 10 times more so. I guess that would be the hops.
Once inside, I settled on a pint of the British Championship Beer winner, Nottingham Rock Mild. It was heavy and bitter; I liked it at first but after a while I got sick of it. I'm not much of a beer drinker. But my friend got Nottingham Legend, which was much lighter and almost sweet. I liked that one. Both beers were brewed right behind the inn. Outside were stacked barrels upon barrels, I suppose full of beer.
~
If the university had a campus flower, it would be the daffodil. For the past week or two, buds have been sprouting everywhere! This week they are in full bloom, with yellow beds as far as the eye can see. Even in the fields, there are random patches of gorgeous, golden petals. Purple tulips also seem to be popping up, although not quite in as much profusion as the daffodils. The flowers, along with the upper-50s weather, makes me happy!
Tomorrow is my full day: lectures and seminars from 9-12, a presentation from 1-2, and then a screening from 4-6. But it's the last time I will have to do it. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment