Sunday 8 March 2009

Paris Finale: Part Trois

I woke up refreshed and ready to take Paris by force on Friday. Sandrine fed us a breakfast of toast and unsweetened yogurt (not the tastiest). Since Sandrine wouldn't be coming back to her apartment at all that day and we were sleeping at the airport, we said farewell in the morning and carried our duffle bags with us all day. It was a little bit of a pain, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Since we had done a lot on Thursday, we decided to take it easy on Friday. Thank goodness we did, because I soon learned that I had sprained my left foot. The side and part of the bottom hurt like crazy! But I survived.
We went to one of the highest points in the city called the Sacra Coeur (Sacred Heart) Cathedral. Lots and lots of steps, but it was worth it for the view. And the church itself was beauitful.
We then metroed down to the monument built for the World's Fair and the Hotel d'Invalides. This hospital was built during one of the Louis' reigns to house wounded soliders. It still does this, while also housing a couple of war museums.
We went back to the Eiffel Tower to walk around the mall in front of it and then crossed the bridge to another mounment that boasted incredible fountains. After that, we did some souvenir shopping near Notre Dame. After chowing down on some fresh, yummy bread, we headed to the Louvre.
By six, we were about dead. We had been going for two days straight and my foot hurt so bad! But this was the Louvre, the most famous museum ever! So, I sucked it up, ignored the pain, and cruised through three floors of paintings and atifacts. I saw the Mona Lisa, of course. It's small and unexciting...overrated, if you ask me. I did get to see works by Fra Angelico, though, and Peter Paul Rubens. And the ancient Mesopotamian and Egyptian artifacts were sweet!
We finished at nine and took a breather before regrouping and heading to the airport. We had to use three metro lines to get there. On the last line, we missed the stop where we had to get off and switch train lines. It gave us quite a scare because we thought that it meant that that line just wasn't running. But we eventually got back to Charles de Gaul Aeroport at 11 after about an hour-and -a-half of metro traveling.
We found some seats and tried to sleep- our flight wasn't until ten the next morning. But I was miserable; cold, tired, uncomfortable and in pain. But it was all good. I got some hot chocolate at about 6, went to the gate without a hitch, and flew back to jolly ole' England. I even got to sit in the very first row of the plane and stretch out my legs!
I arrived back at the dorm around 12 pm, ate lunch, took a shower, and then slept. I am so tired and my foot still hurts. I don't know how I sprained it, but I am hoping that if I rest it this weekend, it will heal up.
Altogether, it was a great trip and I loved my time in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment